Knowing whether your hardwood floors need refinishing or not is very important – and it’s not hard at all to determine this! When the time comes, refinishing your hardwood floors is critical because, not only does it make your space look infinitely more beautiful, it adds to the value of your home. Here are 5 steps to take towards determining whether your hardwoods need refinishing or not.
- Determine what area of your hardwood is walked upon the most. This area will have received the most wear and will be the area that needs refinishing the most.
- Pour about a tablespoon of water onto the floor. The faster it soaks into the wood, the more the floor needs refinishing. For example, if the water rests atop the floor, the finish is still present and effective. But if the water quickly soaks into the wood, then the finish is worn off and needs attention. After wiping up the water with a towel, perform the test in other areas of your floors to determine the overall need your hardwood has to be refinished.
- Then, find an area where floorboards are unevenly intersecting and where you can fit an old business card between two of the boards. Insert the card in the selected slot as far as it will go and mark the card where it meets the top of your floor.
- Measure from the edge of the business card to the mark you have made on it. If the measurement is less than .75” then it is crucial to have your flooring refinished by professionals. As boards this thin require a very specific and intentional refinishing process.
- Lastly, if your hardwood flooring needs to be refinished, call After Five Floors at 678-942-6363. We have the most elite and fast installers that will leave you satisfied guaranteed. Call now to get a free in-home estimate!
There you have it! Determining how close your hardwoods are to needing to be refinished is as easy as these 5 steps. Let us know if you have any questions! As always, we’re here to help.
Reference Material: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/tell-hardwood-floor-needs-refinished-24903.html